Benefits for Students
· Improving memory and understanding of schoolwork
· Developing valuable study skills
· Realizing that learning can occur both inside and
outside the classroom
· Fostering independence and responsibility
· Learning time management skills
Benefits for Parents
· Improved communication between the school and the
· Increased clarity of what is expected of students
· Consistent awareness of what students are learning
· Accurate knowledge of how well their child is doing in
Maximize the benefits of homework by knowing its purpose. There are four general types of homework. It is easy to remember them by the acronym, PIPE.
· Practice—reinforces learning; helps the students master
· Integration—requires the student to apply a variety of
different skills to a single task
· Preparation—introduces material to be taught in future
· Extension—asks students to apply their skills to a new
Knowing these purposes of homework can help in choosing the best study and homework completion strategies.
Another way parents can help with homework is by knowing how to help. Increase your involvement if your child is having difficulty in school. Support your child’s approach to completing homework if your child is doing well in school.
Be sure to stay tuned for the next part of this Homework Helps series to learn some amazing homework tips for parents.